user mounts of hotplug drives

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 00:04:02 UTC 2005

Hi,
   I have a 1394 drive which I move between a number of systems. I've
got some funky ways of mounting it but I want to do it more naturally.
I'd like to just mount the drive under my home directory using the
mount command but it's not working due to permissions. I tried this:

/dev/sda1               /home/mark/Audio1             vfat
rw,noauto,user     0 0
/dev/sda2               /home/mark/Gigs               ext3
rw,noauto,user     0 0

I'm able to mount this as a user, but the directory /home/mark/Gigs
which is owned by mark:mark before the mount, switches ownership to
root:root when mark mounts the drive and I cannot write to the top of
the drive. I can write to the first directory 'Gigs' on the 1394
drive, but not to the top.

   How can I change this fstab entry to allow me to directly mount the
drive in my home directory and have write permission? I'm guessing
that I must tell the system in fstab to give user mark write access
but I cannot figure out what the syntax is.

   Also, if it's any different for vfat vs. ext3 please point that out.

Thanks,
Mark