Upgrading Kernel in RHAS 2.4

Tech Guy tek_guy at rediffmail.com
Thu Feb 24 15:13:44 UTC 2005

Darin,

Thank you very much. That was a good one indeed.
Actually I was suggested to use just the RPM without the source. Do I need to have valid registration with Redhat to download RPM's ?
I have these packages currently installed on my server
kernel-2.4.9-e.3
kernel-smp-2.4.9-e.3
kernel-enterprise-2.4.9-e.3
kernel-headers-2.4.9-e.3

In order to upgrade the kernel to "kernel-2.4.9-e.49". Do I need to install all these packages with higher version ?
Do I need to take any precaution before I upgrade the kernel like any backup of the important files ?

I am sorry as you may find this very basic.

I appreciate if someone can help me on this.

Thanks in Advance,
TG