Whither the ide-tape module

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 03:26:49 UTC 2005

What the heck has happened to the ide-tape module in the 2.6 kernels?
The last FC2 kernel as distributed by KRUD,

http://www.tummy.com/krud/

that supported my IDE tape drives was 2.6.8-1.521.  Kernel
2.6.9-1.6_FC2 does not.  And now that I've upgraded to FC3, with
kernel 2.6.10-1.766_FC3, I'm stuck with a dead tape drive.  The one in
my file server is still ok because I haven't and won't upgrade that
until I have my backup needs covered.

Now that they are no longer distributing the kernel-source RPM, I
guess I'm supposed to download the latest from kernel.org and build a
custom kernel.  Phooey, I thought I was free of that many years ago
when they modularized the kernel.

Is there some alternate device I'm supposed to use?

Or do I bite the bullet and build a kernel?

Or do I accelerate my plan to start backing up to DVDs?

It would be a British understatement to say that I'm miffed.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
The best home improvement manual is the Bible.