Resend: Making drive images

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Mon Feb 28 16:56:04 UTC 2005

Sorry for the resend, but I'm not sure the first try made it through the
listserv. HH

In my never ending quest to be able to recover my server within minutes of
its failure, I've made a couple drive images using Norton Ghost. One drive
holds /home . The other holds everything else. My new backup drives are
80G while the old drives are 40G. It appears Norton wants to change the
partition sizes. When I plug these new drives into the server, I get as
far as GRUB GRUB on the screen, then everything stops. If I only replace
the /home drive (keeping the original drive that holds everything else),
RH8 complains that it cannot find /home during bootup.

My /home drive is the IDE primary slave, while the "everything else" drive
is the primary master. I copy stuff to the secondary slave slot (I'm using
Promise Fast Swap 66 drive enclosures). Because the drives may take on
being master or slave, I've got the new 80G backup drives set as "cable
select" instead of master or slave. The BIOS seems to properly identify
the drives based on where they're plugged in.

So... what do I do to get a bootable system on the new drives? I suspect
the problem is the difference in size. I tried to tell Norton Ghost to set
the partition sizes the same, but there was one point where I keyed in a
size of 101 to match the old size, and it changed to 109 as I moved away
from that field. I suspect that MAY be due to a different number of heads?

Anyway, can this be done? I'd like to now and then just make an image of
each drive in the system. Should a drive die, I just plug in the backup.
If it CAN be done, how do I accomplish it (perhaps not using Norton
Ghost).

THANKS!

Harold

--