Upgrade RHEL AS3 to AS4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Feb 28 19:50:53 UTC 2005

Vikram Kalsi wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Does anyone know of all the ways in which we can upgrade from RHEL AS3 to AS4?

There's two I know of:

1. Back up everything you need and do a fresh install, then restore your
data.  This is the safest way because there are massive differences
between AS3 and AS4.

2. Do an "upgrade" install.  There are dangers in that, but it works
most of the time.  AS4 is so new that I haven't personally seen such
an upgrade.

I did upgrade from FC1 to FC2 (2.4 kernel to 2.6 kernel) when FC2 came
out (similar to an upgrade from AS3 to AS4).  I had to do some tweaking,
but I'm a geek and I got it to work fine.  Your mileage may vary.

Remember, AS3 uses a 2.4 kernel and AS4 uses a 2.6 kernel.  The
internals between the two kernels are RADICALLY different as well as
the device handling (udev/devfs is standard in 2.6 kernels) and other
things.  You'll get used to it.
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -