Whither the ide-tape module

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 20:28:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:57:19AM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Bob McClure Jr wrote:

> >>ide-tape is ancient and not particularly reliable.  DVDs are one option.
> >>So are things such as DAT or DLT (if you like tape).
> >

> >I used to be.  Unfortunately, it seemed that I could buy expensive
> >drives that used cheap tapes, or cheap drives that used expensive
> >tapes.  Since the price has come way down on DVD (re)writers and
> >media, I think I know where I'm headed.
>
> Yeah, DVDs are a good idea, except for the extra space needed to build
> the DVD image before burning it.

Umm, your next response mentions the low cost of disk drives. (Gotch
last :-)

> >>At the current
> >>cost of disk drives, an IEEE 1394 (firewire) or USB 2.0 enclosure and a
> >>80GB drive make for a pretty cheap and reliable backup.  If you do it
> >>right, you can even boot off it for emergency recovery.

> >>Again, VERY few people used ide-tape.  It's been termed "legacy" so it's
> >>not a standard module any longer.  Installing the kernel source does
> >>require a couple of extra steps and the reason for it is in the release
> >>notes (you did read them, didn't you?).
> >

> >Yes, I usually do.  Must have missed any notes about the impending
> >demise of ide-tape.
>
> The bit about the release notes was in regard to the demise of the
> kernel-source RPMs and why you have to install the kernel source RPM and
> do the rpmbuild on it.

Oh.  Well, yeah, I saw that note.  That wasn't a surprise.  It was
just that it complicated a possible solution to the surprising problem
(disappearance of ide-tape).

> -                 Dyslexics of the world: UNTIE!                     -

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
The best home improvement manual is the Bible.