samba

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sun Jan 2 19:40:20 UTC 2005

roland brouwers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running RH9 and suddenly samba does not react anymore
> My server: 192.168.100.254
> In windows Xp: Start -> Run -> \\192.168.100.254\homes doesn't give any
> reaction
> My smb.conf
>

> =====================================
> [global]
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> 	guest account = roland
> 	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> 	load printers = yes
> 	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
> *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> 	obey pam restrictions = yes
> 	guest ok = yes
> 	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> 	encrypt passwords = yes
> 	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> 	dns proxy = no
> 	server string = samba server
> 	printing = cups
> 	unix password sync = Yes
> 	workgroup = cat
> 	comment = tbred
> 	printcap name = /etc/printcap
> 	max log size = 0
> 	pam password change = yes
>
> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	browseable = yes
> 	writeable = yes
> 	valid users = %S
> 	create mode = 0664
> 	directory mode = 0775
> [tbred]
> 	comment = thoroughbred
> 	path=/home/basic
> 	browseable = yes
> 	writeable = yes
> 	valid users = roland
> 	create mode = 0664
> 	directory mode = 0775
>
>  [printers]
> 	comment = All Printers
> 	path = /var/spool/samba
> 	browseable = yes
> # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
> 	printable = yes
>
> # This one is useful for people to share files
> [tmp]
> 	comment = Temporary file space
>    	path = /tmp
>    	read only = no
>    	public = yes
>
>  [public]
>     path = /home/public
>     public = yes
>     only guest = yes
>     writable = yes
>     printable = no
>
> What is going wrong?
> To be sure,I restarted services smb and network
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> And a happy and healthy 2005

Same to you and PLEASE stop hijacking threads.  If you have some
message, send a NEW message to the list...don't click "Reply" and change
the subject.  You screw up threaded news readers when you do what you
did.

As to your Samba issues, the first thing to do is check the log files in
/var/log/samba to see if there are any clues there.

If you just installed RH9, you may be running a firewall now (unless you
selected "NONE" in the install dialog).  The easiest way to check that
is to do "iptables -L -n" to see if anything shows up.  If you are
running one, try disabling it by doing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop"
If samba works then, you'll need to run "redhat-config-securitylevel" to
modify your firewall setup to permit Samba (specifically, you must allow
incoming connections to TCP and UDP ports 137-139).

odds are that you now are running a
firewall.

-      Batteries not included.  Offer not valid in some states.      -
-           Your mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited.           -