how to install two new linux versions on hdb

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at xenodochy.org
Wed Jan 5 03:05:29 UTC 2005

I have a dedicated Redhat 9 system running as my development server on a
home LAN.
I use it mostly with tux, apache, and samba mounts.
I just added a second hard drive - 60 Gig.
I would like to install Fedora Core 3 - I have the cd's and Mandrake 10.1,
both on the new drive, but I can't afford to risk anything happening to
the functionality of the Redhat 9 system, at least not until I can
reproduce its setup.
Right now the second hard drive has not even been partitioned. I'm
reluctant to take any risks that might interfere with Redhat 9 on hda.

All my searching has only yielded dual boot setup that presumes that one
of the operating systems is windows. So far I have found nothing on
setting up two or three different linux systems on one machine.

My experience is limited. My original system was a pre-loaded Redhat 6.2.
Later I did a "wipe-out everything" clean install of redhat 9, with mostly
everything, so it could be both a server and a workstation.

Do I need to create partitions before trying to install?
Do I need two new boot partitions, one for each version, on hdb?  Do they
both need to be near the beginning of the drive?
Can the fc3 installation be told to "not mess with" hda? How about
Mandrake 10.1? Can it co-exist with redhat?

I still want to be able to run the Redhat 9 system, shutting it down only
for temporary periods while I learn FC3 and Mandrake, and configure them
to perform the same function that Redhat 9 does now.

Any suggestions?

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html