No Hard drives has been found

Emanuel Mauritzson mauen at bostream.nu
Wed Jan 5 11:20:55 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Emanuel Mauritzson wrote:
>
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Which version of Red Hat?  If you use SATA hard drives, Red Hat never
>>> supported them without an external driver disk.  The Fedora Core
>>> releases do support many SATA drives.
>>>
>>> Can you give us details about your system?  We need to know the
>>> motherboard make and model, CPU type and amount of memory.  If you use
>>> SCSI or SATA drives, we need to know what type of controller you are
>>> trying to use.
>>>
>> Version of Redhat 9.0
>>
>> Moterboard Inteld925xcv 925x moterboard blkd925xcvlk
>> CPU Intel pentium 4 540 3.2 1mb l2 chache 800mhz fsb lga 775
>> Memory Samsung 521 ddr2 pc400 (x2)
>> harddrive seagate barracuda 80gb 8mb chache serial ata hd (x2)
>

> Ok.  If I read that right:
>
> Operating System:    Red Hat Linux 9
> Motherboard:        Intel D925XCV
> CPU:            Intel Pentium 4
> Memory            1GB (2 x 512MB DDR2 PC400 modules)
> Hard Drive:        Seagate Barracuda SATA 80GB
>
>> Trying to do the install in anaconda, if that what you meen with
>> "controller" im using...
>

> Anaconda is the Red Hat Linux installer program.  My question was aimed
> at what disk drive controller was being used.  By what you said above,
> I can see that you're using the SATA controller on the motherboard.
>
> Red Hat Linux 9 doesn't support that SATA controller and Intel doesn't
> provide any drivers that will support it under Linux.  You could put in
> a regular IDE drive and install to it, but I don't think that's what you
> really want to do.
>
> If you want to use the SATA hard drive, you will need to upgrade to
> Fedora Core 2 or Fedora Core 3, which does have support for that SATA
> controller.  If you use Fedora Core 3, you'll be absolutely current.
>
> You should be aware that Red Hat Linux 9 reached end-of-life in April of
> 2004, meaning that Red Hat doesn't support it any longer.  Updates are
> available from the Fedora Legacy project, but it's really quite an old
> operating system now.
>
> Fedora Core 3 (FC3) is the latest free version of Linux that's available
> which has any affiliation with Red Hat (Red Hat does a lot of the
> development of FC3, but it is NOT a Red Hat product).

Thanks for the help, Trying now to install Fedora Core 3 but it says no
cd-rom disk avalible when im in in the installations phase after i
choose language and keyboard settings, i´m using the dvd,img is it not
possible to boot from dvd it must be cd-rom? because it reads from the
DVD in the beginning.

Regards

Emanuel Mauritzson