new machine - problems with gaim

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 16:40:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:29:10 -0000, RUSHE John (AXA-TECH-UK)
<John.Rushe at axa-tech.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> The messages below show that your system is trying to obtain an IP
> address from a DHCP server. If this machine is situated on your LAN, I
> would try giving it a static IP address (see
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/sysconfig/network).
>
> If this machine itself connects directly to the internet, it will try to
> obtain an IP address from your ISP's DHCP server. It's possible that
> when the DHCP server gives your machine an IP address, the lease time
> (the length of time that your machine is allowed to keep the same IP
> address) is quite short (maybe just a few hours). Once your lease is up,
> your machine must go through the whole process of acquiring an IP
> address again from your ISP's (or your LAN's) DHCP server hence you
> experience the delay every now again whilst the DHCP client (your
> machine) and the DHCP server negotiate a new IP address.
>
> If you can, go for a static IP and see if this helps. The one thing that
> does puzzle me re: your email below is that you say that you can still
> browse the web even when GAIM is having trouble. If this is a DHCP
> problem, no network services going out from your machine would be able
> to work since at that time your machine would not have an IP address.
>
> HTH
>
> John

John,
   Thanks. I had thought about the DHCP idea, and that's why I
attached the info about being able to browse. To me it doesn't seem as
simple as the whole network being disconnected. (And the whole network
isn't disconnected since I can browse.

   I was wondering about transport types? tcp vs. udp? Does gaim use
tcp when talking to an AOL network?

   I think the firewall is disabled. chkconfig --del iptables and it
no longer seems to be in memory, but it didn't effect the problem.

   This is a brand new machine. While it's mostly working it does seem
to have a few issues like this one that are perplexing compared to my
other machines. I did pump up memory from 128MB to 384MB yesterday but
this problem was uneffected.

   Thanks for the ideas.

- Mark