No Hard drives has been found

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 5 18:11:46 UTC 2005

Emanuel Mauritzson wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Version of Redhat 9.0
>>>
>>> Moterboard Inteld925xcv 925x moterboard blkd925xcvlk
>>> CPU Intel pentium 4 540 3.2 1mb l2 chache 800mhz fsb lga 775
>>> Memory Samsung 521 ddr2 pc400 (x2)
>>> harddrive seagate barracuda 80gb 8mb chache serial ata hd (x2)
>>

>> Ok.  If I read that right:
>>
>> Operating System:    Red Hat Linux 9
>> Motherboard:        Intel D925XCV
>> CPU:            Intel Pentium 4
>> Memory            1GB (2 x 512MB DDR2 PC400 modules)
>> Hard Drive:        Seagate Barracuda SATA 80GB
>>
>>> Trying to do the install in anaconda, if that what you meen with
>>> "controller" im using...
>>

>> Anaconda is the Red Hat Linux installer program.  My question was aimed
>> at what disk drive controller was being used.  By what you said above,
>> I can see that you're using the SATA controller on the motherboard.
>>
>> Red Hat Linux 9 doesn't support that SATA controller and Intel doesn't
>> provide any drivers that will support it under Linux.  You could put in
>> a regular IDE drive and install to it, but I don't think that's what you
>> really want to do.
>>
>> If you want to use the SATA hard drive, you will need to upgrade to
>> Fedora Core 2 or Fedora Core 3, which does have support for that SATA
>> controller.  If you use Fedora Core 3, you'll be absolutely current.
>>
>> You should be aware that Red Hat Linux 9 reached end-of-life in April of
>> 2004, meaning that Red Hat doesn't support it any longer.  Updates are
>> available from the Fedora Legacy project, but it's really quite an old
>> operating system now.
>>
>> Fedora Core 3 (FC3) is the latest free version of Linux that's available
>> which has any affiliation with Red Hat (Red Hat does a lot of the
>> development of FC3, but it is NOT a Red Hat product).
>>

> Thanks for the help, Trying now to install Fedora Core 3 but it says no
> cd-rom disk avalible when im in in the installations phase after i
> choose language and keyboard settings, i´m using the dvd,img is it not
> possible to boot from dvd it must be cd-rom? because it reads from the
> DVD in the beginning.

I've never used the DVD installation mode before.  I suspect that
there's no symbolic link between /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom in your
configuration.  You might check bugzilla to see if a similar case
to yours exists and what the fix is.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -