remote jetdirect printing

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Jan 10 22:13:56 UTC 2005

> hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure a print server, I guess.  I've got a collection
> of *nix boxes and some hp jetdirect printers.
>
> I can add a jetdirect printer to my rhe 3 server, either with the cups
> tool or printconf - that works great.  with printconf, I get the ability
> to "share" the printer, either to "all hosts" or to a list.
>
> so if I share the printer, and then try to print from another host,
> nothing happens - no obvious errors, nothing to suggest that my original
> host has even received a request to process a print job.

I'm not sure I'm answering the question you're asking, but, my experience
is if you are really 'sharing' the printer (samba), then to 'connect' to
it, you have to put the whole share name:

//hostname/printername

and then it should work, unless you are using Windows XP Home, which isn't
something that should be put in anyone's home, unless networking isn't
needed... My opinion only.

Karl