getting wireless to work

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 11 18:11:01 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:53:44 -0800 (GMT-08:00), William
> <wsbcomm at earthlink.com> wrote:
>
>>what are a few "best" web sites to help fedora3 users get their wireless(prism) working?
>

> I hope you get an answer. The machine I built yesterday is an FC2
> machine but I'd rebuild it with FC3 if it meant I could get wireless
> running.
>
> I'm about ready to rebuild the kernel with larger stack sizes and try
> again with ndiswrapper. I'm getting desparate.
>
> I did find a lot of people having problems similar to my Prism
> problems in the Fedora forums but almost no one had answers. Just a
> lot of questions asked...

There's several issues with Prism and/or Intersil chipsets.  The problem
Mark's running into is very common (I've run into it myself with an
old D-Link DWL-120 USB->wireless card) and as far as I know, is only
addressable with ndiswrapper and the Windows drivers on a 16K stack.

The problem has to do with loading new firmware into the radio of the
card.  It's not reliable under the various 2.6 drivers and only
marginally better under ndiswrapper.
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -