Tape to CD

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Jan 16 20:41:56 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I don't have a line out on my recorder so I go from the headphone
> jack to the mic in on the sound card.  As I'm getting sound out
> of my computer speakers I would expect to get something recorded.
>
> Once you have an MP3 file how do you convert it to an audio CD
> file to record on to an Audio type CD so I can play it in my non
> MP3 car CD player?
>
> Yes I know I'm getting ahead of my self as I can't even get to
> the MP3 part yet.
>
> Brad

I'm not 100% certain how you're doing the recording, but if you
want to create a CD I wouldn't bother with the MP3 encoding
part of this (at least, not until _after_ the burning) -
Record to .wav format, there will be no loss of quality then.
name the tracks appropriately (ie track_01.wav).
You may wish to edit them slightly too to remove any long gaps
between tracks.
you can use a graphical app if you wish to burn the CD but
cdrecord -v dev=x,x,x -audio -pad directory/*.wav
will do this for you. Obviously you need to use the correct device
instead of x,x,x (cdrecord -scanbus will tell you this).

Stuart