Gnome help

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Thu Jan 20 19:54:14 UTC 2005

Then,
> if you want X, you do a "startx".
>
> Edit /etc/inittab and change the line:
>
> 	id:5:initdefault:

> 	id:3:initdefault:
>
> There is no way to prevent the GUI login if you boot to run level 5 as
> all of the default window managers (gdm, kdm, xdm) first put up a
login
> screen.  The only way around it is to either set up autologin or log
in,
> "startx", then choose a window manager from there.

So, is there a way I can get it to serve up XDMCP without having to run
startx or init 5?

I've experienced (at least Redhat, probably others) machines not booting
before if X gets screwed up and can't boot to the graphical display.  I
just want to avoid that without loosing the ability to use XDMCP.