multiple network interfaces questions, RHEL 3 new install

Chuck Campbell campbell at accelinc.com
Sat Jan 22 02:00:41 UTC 2005

After googling all afternoon, I begin to understand my earlier misconceptions
:-)

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 05:18:22PM -0600, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
<snip>

> > Where can I find info on setting things up this way (or is it impossible) ?
> > I know that I can bind samba to a particular interface, but how do I control
> > what interface talks to the local intranet and what interface only talks
> > to other cluster machines?
>
> Only by subnetting.  The port (Samba, mail, et al.) is irrelevant to
> the ethernet device.  The network interface card cares only about IP
> address.
>
> > Will they need to be different sub-nets to make this work?
>
> Yes, if you don't want to mix differing traffic on the same wire.

That's the goal.  The cluster machines should talk to each other (on their
own subnet) through the gigabit layer 3 switch in the machine room.  That
should enable isolation from other traffic, right?

In addition, I'll bind the second gigabit ethernet card to a different subnet,
although it will plug into the same layer 3 gigabit switch in the machine room.
This interface will be used for samba data serving to the local network.

The layer 3 switch will uplink to the local network layer 3 gigabit switch.

Does this get me to where I want to be, or am I still disillusioned.

ASCII drawing follows that shows what I HOPE to accomplish:

eth1 on cluster machines are subnet 1
eth2 on cluster mnaster is subnet 2 (local network)

Cluster master does cluster management and computation
Cluster slave(s) do computation
Cluster master does samba serving

__________                        __________
|  eth1  |-----|            |-----|  eth1  |
| cluster|   __|____________|__   | cluster|
| master |   | layer 3 switch |   | slave  |
|  eth2  |---|    gigabit     |   |        |
|________|   |________________|   |________|

             _______|__________
             | layer 3 switch |
             |    gigabit     |

               | local net   |
               |many machines|

I assume I still need to do some routing configuration to make this work?

thanks,
-chuck