printing

roland brouwers roland at cat.be
Mon Jan 24 15:26:58 UTC 2005

roland brouwers wrote:

> [...]

There are two competing printing mechanisms under Linux...CUPS and
LPRng.  LPRng is the more, uh, "classic" Unix printing system.  CUPS
("C Unified Printing System") is a greatly improved printing mechanism.
Both use the same commands (lpr, lprm, lpq, etc.), however the commands
have actually been renamed "lpr.cups" and "lpr.lprng", etc.) and
symbolic links point to the actual commands.  The links are changed as
you select either CUPS or LPRng as your printing system.  Which one are
you using?  Do "ls -l /etc/alternatives/print" and it'll show you what
the symbolic link points at.  Odds are it'll be "lpr.cups", meaning
you're using CUPS.

So, make sure you update your CUPS software.  If you installed yum or
apt-get as I recommended, just use: "yum -y update cups*" or
"apt-get -u update cups*" to update to the latest release from the
Fedora Legacy gang (remember, Red Hat doesn't support RH9 anymore).

2005-06-24
I also checked /etc/alternatives and indeed it is cups

I did an update as you suggested.
Then I did : service cups restart
I restarted the printing program, but with the same result.
Is there something else I have to do?

What is the right way to install LPRng?
Because I have the impression, Cups is not the write thing

Thanks for your help.
roland