Did setting up Samba/firewall cause networking not to work after powerdown?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 01:31:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:39:54 -0800, Rick Stevens
<rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:06:50 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>   After all the help I got yesterday I feel bad coming back to the
> >>well so quickly but the machine worked fine all of last evening and
> >>was then powered down. This morning it doesn't connect to the wireless
> >>router. Since it's not on the network I cannot send the output of
> >>command very easily but so far I note that:
> >>
> >>1) If I do a route command dragonfly hangs after the first two lines
> >>and doesn't give me the default route for about 30 seconds. If I do
> >>route -n it gives it to me immediately.
> >>
> >>2) The Netgear router shows the MAC address of dragonfly as attached.
> >>
> >>3) dragonfly cannot ping the Netgear router.
> >>
> >>4) If I run iwlist wlan0 scanning from dragonfly I see the router. The
> >>MAC address and ESSID (and everything else) looks pretty normal.
> >>Signal strength does look a little lower than usual. Possibly this is
> >>part of the issue.
> >>
> >>5) If I run chkconfig --del iptables and reboot then it still doesn't
> >>work but the iptables modules are loaded into memory and iptables -L
> >>tells me the firewall is stopped.
> >>
> >>   dragonfly was built about 2 weeks ago and has been wireless since
> >>it went live. Yesterday's work was the only significant configuration
> >>changes I've made but there have been up2date updates going on as
> >>recently as yesterday.
> >>
> >>   Thanks in advance for any ideas.
> >>
> >>- Mark
> >>

> > A bit more information. I have now found that if I take the network
> > down and bring it back up then it works, at least for a while. The
> > machine did hard crash after about 10 minutes and I had to power
> > cycle.
> >
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown wlan0
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup wlan0
> >
> > and it works. However after a reboot ifup wlan0 is not enough to get
> > the network going. I must take it down first.
>
> That smells like a DHCP/ESSID issue.  I'd be interested in the state of
> wlan0 after the boot and before the ifdown-ifup sequence.  Reboot and
> do an "iwconfig wlan0" to display its state.  Verify that the ESSID,
> mode (ad-hoc, managed), and channel (or frequency) is correct.  I'm
> willing to bet that it missed the ESSID broadcast/sign-on (not an
> uncommon occurance).
>
> If the failure appears consistent, you might try adding the ifdown/ifup
> sequence in /etc/rc.d/rc.local...just to make sure it comes up OK.  Yes,
> it's clunky, but it often works.  You might also see if you can get your
> access point to broadcast its ESSID more often.

I'll do what I can to get you the info. There is something really bad
going on here. The machine is having a terrible time booting. One time
it did some sort of kernel panic and said it wasn't syncing. I tried
rebooting using both with and without noacpi. It's just having
problems of some soft.

I did run both iwconfig and ifconfig before and after the down/up
stuff earlier. I didn't see any big differences. Managed, open, right
key, right ESSID, right hardware addresses.

If I can get the machine to boot I'll send along the info but it may
not be in the next couple of hours unless I'm lucky. Look for
something tomorrow morning for sure. (Well, I hope for sure...) ;-)

Thanks for your help,
Mark