Forwarding and masquerding

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Fri Jan 28 12:27:37 UTC 2005

Connect your internal network (which is to be masqueraded) to one
interface (for exapmle, eth1) and line to outer network to another
interface (eth0).

To use masquerading, put the following lines into iptables configuration
(/etc/sysconfig/iptables):
Into table nat, chain POSTROUTING put the following string

-A POSTROUTING -s <internal network address space> -j SNAT --to-source
<address of gateway's external interface>

This will do the masquerading. Then allow the forwarding of packets
between internal and external addresses (table 'filter' chain FORWARD):

-A FORWARD -s <internal network address space> -j ACCEPT

Or simply set the default rule of FORWARD chain to ACCEPT.
Then reload iptables rules:

service iptables restart

Then switch on the forwarding in the kernel

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

And put appropriate line into /etc/sysctl.conf so the forwarding will be
switched on after each reboot:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Also I recommend to switch on the use of iptales helpers for at least
FTP protocol. The list of helpers to be loaded at iptables restart is in
file /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config, parameter IPTABLES_MODULES.

Than you should configure all computers in the internal network to use
you gateway (address of its network card connected to the internal
network) as a default gateway.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com