Linux Error :113 No route to host

Ted Potter tpotter at techmarin.com
Sat Jul 2 14:59:48 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 05:23, Chris Hewitt wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 09:35, drumil narayan wrote:
> > --- Chris Hewitt <rhil at manordata.uklinux.net> wrote:
> >
> > > PS Bottom posting is preferred here (put your
> > > comments at the end). I'll
> > > reorder this.

> > > error,
> > > any

> > > Picking
> > > get

> > > changed
> > > the

> > > connect

> > > advance..Drumil
> > >
> > > I need to get this clear. The computer with RHEL on
> > > is the database
> > > server? On the server, you can connect to the
> > > database (e.g. using
> > > sqlplus) giving it the tnsnames.ora entry (not just
> > > the default blank
> > > entry)?

> > > server, and tnsping the
> > > server? Is this tnsping using the server hostname or
> > > an entry in
> > > tnsnames.ora?
> > >
> > > If you can successfully tnsping from a client using
> > > a tnsnames.ora entry
> > > then you should be able to connect to the database.
> > >
> > > The no route to host error I think can only be one
> > > of the things I said.
> > > It does seem like something in your networking has
> > > changed, these things
> > > do not happen by themselves. What can you think of
> > > that has changed?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >
> > thanx Chris,
> > 1) yes the computer with RHEL on is database server
> > 2) on this server I am able to connect to the database
> > using sqlplus with entry in tnsnames.ora and without
> > it..so my listener is listening to database
> > 3) this is why tnsping is true on RHEL 4
> > 4) i executed tnsping with tnsping tnsnames.ora entry
> > on database server which was correctly tnspinged
> > 5) the same entry was copied into clients tnsnames.ora
> > 6) tnsping fails from clients
> > 7) previously the server was taking nearly 20 minutes
> > to just bootup, so we called the support engineer, he
> > stopped some services, after that it was booting up in
> > 3 minutes.
> > 8) can you inform me which are the services required
> > to start if its oracle database installed on RHEL
> >
> > thanx in advance..Drumil
> Drumil,
>
> As you say your support person changed some services you might ask what
> they did. That seems to be the root of your problem. I've not used
> Oracle on RHEL so I'm not going to be the best person to answer that.
> There are specific linux Oracle mailing lists but talking to the support
> engineer about the changes I feel is best initially.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris

not that I really know anything but

1. What is the ip address of the oracle server ?
2. Can you ping that ip address from a windows client ?

The fact that you can get to the database from server itself would to me
indicate the server is up and running. However that does not mean a
client can reach it.

anyway my 2 cents...I have not used an oracle server since SCO xenix

Ted Potter
tpotter at techmarin.com
www.techmarin.com