FC2 to FC3 or FC4 upgrade

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 11 17:49:21 UTC 2005

Top posting.  Tsk, tsk.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 10:20:50AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> FYI all - I have been unable to move forward with this due to none of
> the CD passing the media test portion of the install. CD #1 boots fine
> and is happy to start the install if I let it, but the CDs themselves
> all fail the test media option I'm given at the beginning of the
> install.
>
> I'm currently researching other ways to burn the CDs. I normally use
> k3b to do this. I'm sure it can be done at the command line also.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Dare I assume you've seen this:

  http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#making_cds

In short, use high-quality 700MB CDs and burn no faster than 4x.

Not sure if this applies, but the CDs I get from KRUD

  http://www.tummy.com/Products/krud/

come with a note advising to boot with "ide=nodma" for the media test,
and then boot without for the actual install/upgrade.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God doesn't have (or need) a Plan B.