error in scp

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 14 16:32:55 UTC 2005

Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I'm using scp to copy the /home directory from my old server to the new
> one. It runs fine for a while, then I get this error:
>
> scp: /home/harold/public_html/FCC/FccRules/CiteFind/0001
> protocol error: expected control record
>
> The command I'm running is:
> scp -r 192.168.1.8:/home /home
>
> What can I do to reliably get this copied over?

Hmmmm, that's interesting.  Have you done an "ls -la" and an "lsattr"
on that file?  Is it a regular or special file (e.g. pipe/fifo or
device)?  I suspect it's a special file, and scp can't deal with
those (nor can most copy utilities).

You really should look at using rsync to synchronize your systems.
That's what it was designed for and it knows how to deal with special
files, symlinks and the like.
-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -