"smartd dead but subsys locked"

Gregory E. Garland geg1 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 15 16:48:42 UTC 2005

Thanks. The error was "unable to register device /dev/sda on line 3 of
/etc/smartd.conf", which smartctl says is the external hard drive (and not
smart-capable). I guess it did not appear before because I added the
external drive after the original RHEL installation, and the smartd.conf
file is generated during installation. Commenting out the line in the
configuration file solves the problem.