stability of RHEL ES 4 (was: RE: trouble installing/running the Domain Name Service Configuration Tool)

Ed McCorduck MCCORDUC at cortland.edu
Sat Jul 16 11:18:10 UTC 2005

Tesekkür. This Linux novice has now gained another bit of knowledge the hard way, i.e. with a little embarrassment over my ignorance. Not only do I now know how to spot source RPMs but I know what to do with them, too, so again, tesekkür.

But before I could try your solution, for the third time my Linux system has crashed with kernel panics and file system errors that have again left me with a nonbooting system, so I'll need to reinstall Linux one more time. With my limited capabilities I can't tell if the problem is with my computer's hardware or with the Linux system software itself, but one thing I can do is this: I'd like to ask if any of you have also experienced major problems keeping Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 stable. I downloaded the installation files for the "Update 1" version of RHEL ES 4 and it has usually installed fine, but after a short time (a couple of days or a week) of doing anything with the system it crashes into uselessness.

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
Ed.McCorduck at Cortland.edu
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
ICQ: http://mccorduck.cortland.edu/pager
AIM: EdMcCorduck