stability of RHEL ES 4 (was: RE: trouble installing/running the Domain Name Service Configuration Tool)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 19 17:04:40 UTC 2005

Ed McCorduck wrote:
> [...]

Good man.

>>This problem appears just after you finished the
>>installation and boot the system for 1st time?
>

> No, and this is what's strange, it takes anywhere from a few days to a week or two to crash, and that's always after having it running constantly. I do a few reboots during the period, but the problems seem to crop up outside of those (i.e. programs suddenly freezing, bizarre characters on the screen in the middle of others etc.).

Ok, this is very indicative of a power supply going bad or an
overheating CPU.  First, check the fan on the CPU's heatsink and make
sure it's spinning at a good speed.  Fans croak very often and a hot
CPU is not a happy CPU.  If the blades aren't a blur, replace the fan
and/or heatsink (don't forget to use more thermal goop if you replace
the heatsink).

If that doesn't do the trick, I'd replace the power supply.  It's hard
to catch a bad supply, as you need to track its output using something
like a recording DMM (fairly expensive for occasional use).  New
supplies are $50 U.S. in most places and it's probably cheaper to put
in a new one than trying to analyze and/or repair the old one.
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -