Re: stability of RHEL ES 4 (was: RE: trouble installing/running the Domain Name Service Configuration Tool)

Ed McCorduck wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Ed McCorduck Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:11 PM
To: 'Getting started with Red Hat Linux'
Subject: RE: stability of RHEL ES 4 (was: RE: trouble installing/running the Domain Name Service Configuration Tool)

Thanks for that and all your suggestions. Unfortunately, as of now I can't boot off the hard drive at all, so it would be very tricky for me to recover the /var/log files. If Rick Steven's memtest86 works, though, and rescues my installation, I will try to salvage those files first thing.

Perhaps I should have been clearer about why I can't boot. When I do, I
get these lines and the process stops:

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

That's because the boot loader (probably grub--could be LILO) couldn't load the ext3 filesystem module from your initrd image. Therefore it couldn't mount the root filesystem.

If you power off the machine for a few minutes, I'll bet it boots again.
If that's the case, check the CPU fan and power supply as I mentioned
in another message.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -