stability of RHEL ES 4 (was: RE: trouble installing/running theDomain Name Service Configuration Tool)

Gregory E. Garland geg1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 17:49:21 UTC 2005

> > Perhaps I should have been clearer about why I can't boot.
> When I do,
> > I get these lines and the process stops:
> >
> > EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
> > mount: error 22 mounting ext3
> > mount: error 2 mounting none
> > switchroot: mount failed: 22
> > umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>

> Nope, I keep getting those lines and boot won't continue. I'll
> definitely look into the power supply and cooling fan possibilities.
> Thanks again for pointing me in that direction.

I was getting the same errors recently, and I replaced my disk and
re-installed RHEL. I was pretty sure it was a disk problem since I could
hear _something_ in the case was not running smoothly. I don't get the same
problem (yet) but I still hear the same or similar noise. The problem I see
is that this on a dual boot system. So, if it was the CPU, why wouldn't
there be similar problems with booting XP? If it is a bad disk, the grub
partition is on the second disk with RHEL, so could a bad power supply only
damage the RHEL portion and leave the rest alone? Even after the machine
wouldn't boot into Linux, it would still boot to XP. In particular, I am
wondering now if the power unit may be too small to run the extra disk.