location of mysql database files?

Carl Reynolds redhat-install-list at hyperbole-software.com
Sat Jul 23 17:46:51 UTC 2005

Harold Hallikainen wrote:

>I'm SLOWLY bringing up a new server and moving stuff from the old to the
>new. My next issue is moving over mysql database files. If someone knows
>off the top of their head what they're called and where they are, it'd
>save me a bunch of research. They are currently buried deep in an RH8
>machine, and I'll be moving them to an FC4 machine.
>
>THANKS!
>
>Harold

The files are stored in /var/lib/mysql. You will find one directory of
fields for each database you have created.

You would probably be better off if you used mysqldump to create an
ascii dump of the database, moved that to the new server and then use
mysqlimport to import the data to the new database.

Carl.