setting CRT parameters

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 4 09:58:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 06:49:09PM -0700, Edward Matuszak wrote:
> > Subject: Re: setting CRT parameters
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:46:41PM -0700, Edward Matuszak wrote:
> > > I recently changed monitors, and the original settings used by
> > Redhat linux
> > > no longer work.
> > > Where does the system get the values for resolution, scan rate,
> > etc.? The
> > > new monitor is unable to display anything as soon as the x
> > windows subsystem
> > > comes up. i.e. black screen
> > >
> > > I can remotely access the system, so I would like to reset to a
> > minimum vga
> > > configuration via config files, startup scripts, etc.???
> > >
> > > thanks.
> >
> > Try (as root)
> >
> >   system-config-display --reconfig
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.

> Did not work ... command not found (from a terminal session).
>
> I looked in /etc/sysconfig, but didn't see anything obvious.
>
> I can only access via ssh/telnet, so I need to find the relevant config
> file, setup script, or whatever the system uses to set up the CRT refresh
> rate, resolution, etc.

See

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#text_login

to see how to at least get a text-mode login.

I forgot to ask what version of RedHat or Fedora Core.  In earlier
versions, the command was

  system-config-xfree86 --reconfig

and before that

  redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

and before that

  Xconfigurator --reconfig

See also

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#x_fails

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.