setting CRT parameters

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 5 11:43:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:01:11PM -0700, Edward Matuszak wrote:

> [...]

Try a lower screen resolution or color depth.  That should allow it to
use a higher refresh rate.

> Is there a way to verify what the actual chipset is and what X has set the
> parameters to?  xdpyinfo doesn't show scan freq, and the config file set up
> by the "redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig" command doesn't seem to specify it
> either.  (It's not obvious, anyway.)  I vaguely recall that when I had the
> original monitor connected it did not flicker (i.e. not set to 60hz)

Look at /var/log/X*.0.log.  While you are there, see to it that it
found the right amount of memory for your video.  If it found less
memory than it really has, then you will get an unnecessarily low
resolution/depth/refresh rate.

> It would be nice to set the scan rate to 72hz.

Yes, flicker is the pits.

> Ed

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.