OT: Apache and frontpage

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jun 8 17:32:35 UTC 2005

Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 00:03, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>[root at uvc-01-0004-01 root]# uptime
>>   2:59pm  up 392 days, 21:20,  1 user,  load average: 0.99, 1.71, 2.07
>>
>>(Oh, and that's on a fully-patched Fedora Core 1 system)
>

> Whoa!
> Did I read that right? You have FC boxes in commercial production?!
>
> Have I perhaps turned my back on the Hat unjustifiably?

Subjective matter of opinion, Andrew.  In my opinion, I'd say so.
Caveat emptor, however.  No RH support on FC...just the mailing lists.
I've been doing this for 30 years, however, so it takes a lot to scare
me!  I can usually dig my way out.  :-)

We have FC1, FC3 and FC3 boxes in production.  I'm wringing out FC4p2
boxes as I write (and they seem OK for the most part).  When FC4 is
released next week, I'll run tests on those also, and if they hold up,
we'll use it as well.  FC, with a few minor glitches, works quite well.
Remember that FC1 WOULD have been RH10 had they not changed direction,
and RHEL4 is based on FC2.  All of my personal boxes save one (a Mac
Mini) are running FC3 (including my Opteron), and that includes the
ones at the office.

We also have Centos (whitebox version of RHEL3) in production along
with FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, HPUX and IRIX.  As far as Unixen go,
we're pretty agnostic.
-          "How does that damned three seashell thing work?"         -
-                           - Sylvester Stallone, "Demolition Man"   -