Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 problem,

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 13:01:09 UTC 2005

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm attempting to upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora
> core
> > 3.  I'm an application developer not a system
> person
> > so I purchased the CDs instead of attempting to
> > download and burn them myself.  Tonight after I
> > received the CDs I started to install them but the
> > process hangs just as soon as it starts.  The
> > following is what happens.
> >
> >      Insert FC3 first CD and restart my system
> >      Choose "Graphic Mode" by pressing enter
> >
> > A bunch of diagnostics run on the console then the
> > screen starts changing color, the diagnostics fade
> out
> > and a bunch of vertical lines appear.  After that
> > nothing happens the CD drive open but when I place
> the
> > second CD in it nothing happens.  Does anyone have
> any
> > idea what's going on and why?   If this is not the
> > right place for me to ask my questions could
> someone
> > please suggest a better list or forum?
> >
> > Thanks for your advice
> >

> Leila,
>    When the disk first starts up it's going to allow
> you to choose a
> kernel and also to add some kernel options. Try a
> few options, such as
>
> nousb noacpi nofirewire nokudzu
>
> Those are just possibe suggestions and not real
> guidance. Look at the
> options list. It's there somewhere. Try changing a
> few and seeing if
> you can get past this. I've had problems with P4HT
> machines and USB
> detection.
>
> Also try doing a text install instead of graphics.
> Sometimes that helps.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I tried another option
and exact same thing happened.  This time I selected
to test the setup, I don't remember the exact wording
something about media.  But it did exactly the same
thing as when I chose to install in graphic mode! This
is where it hangs:

trying to remount root filesystem read write... done
mounting /tmp as ramfs... done
running install...
running /sbin/loader

I've searched through internet and found a few others
having the same problem but I haven't found how they
solved it.  One post says that there should be a pause
of just 40 seconds and then I should the options to
select the language and so on.  Well if anyone else
has any ideas I'll appreciate your thoughts and
suggestions.

Leila