Help needed Fedora Core 4 install problem, X server does not start

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:00:12 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your help.  I did what you suggested.  A
> dialog box popped up to choose the mouse type.  The
> right one was highlighted so I just pressed pf12 to
> move to the next screen. The dialog box went away.
> Two lines of diagnostics are showing on the console:
>
> Shutting down console mouse services:   ok
> Starting console mouse services:  ok
>
> What should I do now?

Somehow this doesn't sound like it's going to produce the correct
results. If it did you should be able to start X now. Either reboot or
log in as a user and from the command line type

startx

The real issue, I think, is what is listed for the mouse in your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Look in there for an "InputDevice" section
that's defining your mouse. Assuming a PS2 mouse try setting the
Protocol to either IMPS/2 or PS/2 and try setting the Device to
/dev/input/mice which is now a pretty generic setting under udev.

After making those changes try running startx again.

Good luck,
Mark