configure Redhat 9 for static LAN IP and DHCP dynamic IP dial-up modem

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at xenodochy.org
Sun Mar 13 18:17:15 UTC 2005

I have been using my Redhat 9 system on my home LAN with a static IP
address (as a web development server).  I'm still quite new to Linux.
Now I want to be able to stay on the LAN in the same configuration, but
add a dial-up connection that will support DHCP from my ISP.
So far, I have been able to get my wvdial to connect and start PPP,
showing me the IP address, but after that nothing else seems to work.
I can switch to another screen and ping either of the two IP addresses
shown, (obviously one is mine, and the other is the ISP), and I can ping
the other static IP addresses on the LAN.

How can I get my browser to work when I switch to the X-window?
I suspect I need to do some more configuration for hosts? DNS? etc.?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html