Screen Saver

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Sun Mar 6 15:02:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 03:46:07PM -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm looking for a screen saver that will display different
> pictures stored in a directory.

Hi Brad

I believe KDE has a picture-shower screensaver (the native KDE does, I'm
not sure about the RedHat supplied version because I don't run KDE).  However,
for Gnome, you can use any program which displays pictures on the root window.

I use xv.  (There are probably better programs, but I'm an old-time
unix dude and I like xv.)  I add a couple of lines to my
~/.xscreensaver file, in the Programs section, like so:

           "XV (cats)"  xv -random -wait 10 -root -rmode 5        \
                             /home/dave/img/cats-good/*            \n\

If you are running in a mode with multiple screensavers selected, you
can have variations on these lines:

           "XV (comix)"  xv -random -wait 10 -root -rmode 5        \
                             /home/dave/img/funny/* /home/dave/img/funny/*/*   \n\

...and they will come up in the appropriate random order.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | DMackintosh at uxilium.com
         gpg --recv-keys --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net 0x35A6A47A
         Mystery attachment?  http://xdroop.dhs.org/space/GPG