Linux to Linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 9 00:06:45 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>Peachy.  Essentially, your /etc/exports file on the server would look
>>like:
>>
>>	/home/brad	192.168/16(rw,no_root_squash)
>>
>>To manually start the NFS server code:
>>
>>	/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
>>	/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock start
>>	/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start
>>
>>On the client, you'd add lines to your /etc/fstab that look like:
>>
>>	nfsserver:/home/brad	/mountpoint	nfs	rw 0 0
>>
>>If you have that in /etc/fstab, the following two commands will start
>>the NFS client code and automatically mount any NFS volumes it finds
>>in /etc/fstab:
>>
>>	/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
>>	/etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs start
>>
>>If you don't have any entries in /etc/fstab, mount the stuff via:
>>
>>	mount -t nfs nfsserver:/home/brad /mountpoint
>>
>>If you wish to make these permanent (start NFS server processes and
>>mount them on the NFS client), then you can do the following:
>>
>>On the server:
>>
>>	chkconfig --levels 2345 portmap on
>>	chkconfig --levels 2345 nfslock on
>>	chkconfig --levels 2345 nfs on
>>
>>On the client:
>>
>>	chkconfig --levels 2345 portmap on
>>	chkconfig --levels 2345 netfs on
>>
>>Note that this is only for NFS file sharing.  See "man exports" for
>>details on the /etc/exports file and "man 5 nfs" for the available NFS
>>options for /etc/fstab and the "mount -t nfs" command.  If you wanted to
>>do it via Samba, I think you already know how since you apparently share
>>that stuff with Windows already.  Just think of the Samba shares as
>>Windows shares.
>>
>>As to the printer, run the printer manager GUI stuff on the machine
>>where the printer is attached ("system-config-printer" under FC2/3).
>>Double click on the printer you want to share, then click on the
>>"Sharing..." button at the bottom of the "Edit a print queue" box.  Put
>>a check in the "This queue is available to other computers" and "All
>>Hosts" should show up in the list of allowed systems.  Click on "OK",
>>then click on the "Apply" icon in the "Printer Configuration" box to
>>restart the queues.
>>
>>Wait a few minutes for the shared queue to get broadcast, then go to the
>>client machine and bring up its printer manager.  The queue from the
>>server machine should show up in the "Browsed queues" list.  Just double
>>click it, select it as the default, set up the queue name and driver and
>>you should be good to go.
>>
>>Note that the printer(s) exported from the server will be running the
>>"IPP" protocol (internet printing protocol, TCP/UDP port 631), should
>>you need to access them from a machine that doesn't have a GUI or that
>>can't browse queues on the net.  If you need to access it via a URL,
>>"ipp://printserver/queuename".  RFC 3510 describes the IPP URL.
>>
>>Hope your brain doesn't bleed after all that!  :-)
>

> OK, the first part - no problem.  I don't seem to be able to
> [...]

Oh!  Fire up the print manager (RHIcon->System Settings->Printing).
Click on "Action" first, then click on "Sharing...".  Put a checkmark
in "Automatically find remote shared queues" on BOTH machines, click
"OK" and "Apply".  See if the stuff shows up then.  If not, it may be
a difference between CUPS and LPrng (I run CUPS).
-              Where there's a will, I want to be in it.             -