telnet

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 24 18:03:47 UTC 2005

roland brouwers wrote:
> I have a server with FD3
> I want to telnet from the workstations to this server.
> We have WS with Xppro, Win98 an WinMe
> Everything goes well with XP and W98
> With WinMe, the workstation hangs after login and the display of
> lastlogin
> If I enter Ctrl+C, I get into the shell and I can continue manually.
> I don't find any firewall on the pc's. I disabled Norton virus, it has
> no firewall.
> What does Me that XP an W98 don't?

First off, using telnet is a bad idea as it is completely insecure
(everything including passwords are sent in cleartext).  This isn't an
issue if your network has no gateway to the internet, but I'd highly
recommend you stop using telnet and use ssh.  There are a number of free
ssh clients for Windows, the most popular being "putty".  Do a google
search for that, install it and use it.  Disable telnet completely.

Now, as to why ME behaves differently, I suspect it has to do with the
terminal emulation in its telnet protocol.  One of the last things a
login does is set the prompt string and many systems will "eat" the
first prompt, just due to the way they set up the connections.  I'll bet
that it's not necessary for a "CTRL-C", but a simple "ENTER" would get
you the prompt.

Can you fix it?  Probably not.
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -