fedora network boot without boot floppy

David Morgan dmorgan1 at dslextreme.com
Sun May 1 17:38:18 UTC 2005

Can an ftp network install from a server be triggered without a special
network-install boot floppy or CD?

Last week I wanted to install Fedora 3 on a spare older machine but had
trouble getting it to boot from CD. So rule out the CD. Plan B was a
network install. If installation CDs are copied onto a different linux
box, the target machine uses ftp to get access and the installation
proceeds.

The key to doing it is booting the target machine from a special floppy
which gives it a network driver and ftp client, and launches the
anaconda installer by somehow loading it from the server box. But I
found that as of Fedora 2, this stuff got too big and no such floppy is
available anymore. So I did the network install using RedHat 9 instead,
which is now on the box, running fine.

My question is, if I still wanted to get from RedHat 9 to Fedora 3 by an
"upgrade" installation, could I do it? I would copy the Fedora 3 disks
onto the ftp server machine. Now (unlike last week) RedHat9 provides me
the needed ftp client platform, so I don't need any boot floppy for
that. But how would I trigger the load-and-launch of anaconda from the
server to get the installation rolling?