mail command

wang owenewo58 at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 21:43:02 UTC 2005

Thank you Chris,

> If is used to work, then something has changed to make it not work. So
> the question is what have you changed since it did work?

I don't think I changed something. It jsut suddenly stopped working.

> I'm assuming you did put the dot on the last line of the message? That
> is:
> mail owenewo58 at hotmail.com -s test
> text here
> .
>
> Does it send mail locally, e.g.:
> mail root at localhost -s test
> text here
> .

I tried again carefully, it's really just typed as above one.

when I only type the mail command with out any option,
It says,

No mail for root

> Assuming sendmail is your MTA, is it running? At the prompt
> ([chris at amdk63 chris]$ is my prompt), if you  do:
> [chris at amdk63 chris]$ ps ax|grep sendmail
>  3056 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h
>  2200 pts/0    S      0:00 grep sendmail
> [chris at amdk63 chris]$

when I try the same command, the system answer is,

smmsp      764  0.0  0.0  3404 1420 ?        S    Apr22   0:00 [sendmail]
root     21056  0.0  0.0  4572  660 pts/1    S    14:15   0:00 grep sendmail

> Do you get the "/usr/sbin/sendmail" line?

> Can you ping your mailserver?

yes, i can ping it.

> If you let us know these then we should be able to help you.

Looking forward to hear from you.
Owen.