Machine Specific System Name

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Thu May 5 15:35:16 UTC 2005

From: Algis Zyle - ISS [mailto:azyle at integrity-software.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:41 AM
To: RedHat Install List
Subject: Machine Specific System Name

All,

I'm sure this is pretty straightforward to someone out there. We've got an application that we'll be re-deploying on numerous hardware platforms (99% are RedHat systems). For Security reasons, what would be a pretty solid way at the OS Level to assign a unique system Id for that specific Hardware/OS Level, etc...Basically a type of Key to prevent unauthorized porting to a different machine. It doesn't have to be 100% failsafe, ease of use is preferred. Uname doesn't seem to give enough information at the Linux Level...Any simple scripts or comments well appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

The OS part's easy... uname.

The hardware is another story though.  It all depends on how badly you want to prevent this from happening.  You could use a MAC address from the NIC as a hosted, and verify that against the hosted your software knows about.

Rick, is there a way to pull a serial number off the motherboard?

Sounds like their life would be easier to use a COTS tool like flexlm though.  Then just manage the license keys.