Any tricks to help me connect at 54MB?

Spero Manolatos sperom at verizon.net
Fri May 6 14:23:49 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Mark Knecht
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 6:14 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Any tricks to help me connect at 54MB?

Hi,
   To improve our network reliability we upgraded our router to a
newer LinkSys double antenna device and added a wireless access point
in the living room instead of using the an internal PCI D-Link card
that had caused us so much trouble at that remote location. I'm now
getting much better throughput between the router and the equipment in
the living room which is great. We set that network up as 802.11g to
get the performance. The router and the access point are set to
802.11g only.

   However, my son's FC2 machine is still using a 802.11g internal
card and is running with ndiswrapper. (DWL-510G) I cannot get this
card to connect to the new network. I've changed the ESSID on the new
network so I changed it on the card. The card sees the network using
the command 'iwlist wlan0 scanning' and reports back the correct new
ESSID. The ifcfg-wlan0 file has new IP addresses in it, along with the
new ESSID. It also has an entry called Bitrate which is set for
54Mb/S.

   I'd send the config file but the machine's not on the network so
it's a bit of work.

   Nothing I've tried so far allows this device to connect. I haven't
tried lowering the network to 802.11b speeds and testing as I need the
g level throughput.

   Any ideas about how to get this beast going?

Thanks,
Mark

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com