Using ATA/EIDE drives with RedHat 3

Michael Ault mikerault at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 20:02:02 UTC 2005

I am attempting to increase the PIO bus speed from 33
to 133 and to turn on DMA using ATA/EIDE drives. I
used to be able to do this with the idebus seeting and
the hdparm command. SO far I have not been able to
achieve this I get:

[root at aultlinux3 ~]# hdparm -X66  -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3
/dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
 setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 3
 setting multcount to 16
 setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 setting xfermode to 66 (UltraDMA mode2)
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

When I try. I have also tried adding the options lines
for the various drivers (ide1, ata_piix, libata) but
it seems to have no affect.

Anyone been able to set up DMA for ATA/EIDE drives or
to set the bus speed in RedHat 3.0 release 4?

On loder, slower drives I was able to get speed up to
14.92 mb/sec using these methods, on these newer,
faster drives I can only get to 5.1 mb/sec

On Old RedHat:

[root at aultlinux2 root]# hdparm -m16 -c3 -X mdma2 -d1
-a8 -u1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 setting fs readahead to 8
 setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 3
 setting multcount to 16
 setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 setting xfermode to 34 (multiword DMA mode2)
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
[root at aultlinux2 root]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.56 seconds
= 82.05 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.29 seconds =
14.92 MB/sec

On New improved RedHat with newer, faster drives:

[root at aultlinux3 ~]# hdparm -X66  -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3
/dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
 setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 3
 setting multcount to 16
 setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 setting xfermode to 66 (UltraDMA mode2)
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
[root at aultlinux3 ~]# hdparm -tT /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 Timing cached reads:   3820 MB in  2.00 seconds =
1909.34 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   16 MB in  3.11 seconds
=   5.15 MB/sec

This is using the SATA drive (can't set it using
hdparm) as the boot drive with two EIDE drives chained
off of IDE1.

Thanks.

Mike Ault

Michael R. Ault