APC Backup

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu May 12 05:32:43 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

>Thanks - I'll wait.

Hello Brad, looks like this is too hard for the list. No one seems to
have an answer to any of the questions I have lately.  I must have B.O. :-)

I have managed to get the name of the device and driver required to get
this working on my FC3 system with my APC Back-UPS CS 500 USB UPS

The device (on my FC3) is /dev/hiddev0 and the driver is genericups. If
that driver doesn't work on your system there are several different
drivers you can try. A good set of instructions can be found in 'man
genericups'. I believe my UPS is a 'contact closure' type rather than a
'smart' type.

Thanks go to Arnaud Quette from MGE UPS Systems for all the driver and
device information. He was extremely helpful.

Now, I haven't actually set it up yet. Just as I was about to do so my
UPS fell over with what appears to be a dodgy relay. I accidently bumped
it and the output power disappeared. The UPS reckoned it was entirely
happy with itself and all was well. :-) I have a new one on the way.

Hope this helps you. Let's know how you go.

Graeme.

>>brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
>>

>>>I'd like to see a copy too as I haven't been able to get it working on my
>>>

>>machine and it may or may not be the same setup (you would think it would be).
>>

>>>Brad
>>>

>>Hello Brad, there's been no reply yet as you can see. If I get some info
>>from elsewhere I will let you know.
>>
>>Graeme.

>>--

>>Kind regards,
>>
>>Graeme.
>>When replying to this email please delete the 'no_spam.' in address
>>Depart not from the path which fate has assigned you.
>>

>.

Kind regards,

Graeme.