Any tricks to help me connect at 54MB?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:27:19 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> > The 54Mb/S setting doen't make it. Even when I choose that the setting
> > still shows up as 11Mb/S.
> >
> > I've set the router to now allow bot 11b and 11g. It gets the device
> > connected but slows down transfers between other machines. I'm
> > disappointed. Bummer.
>
> In any 802.11g network, ANY 802.11b node will degrade the entire network
> to 11Mbps.  Sorry.
>
> (I'm in Boston until Friday...so I'm going to be VERY slow in
> responding...you're lucky I still watch this stuff!)

RIck,
   While I've heard this the results are not bearing it out. I have
the the router set for both 11b & 11g. The wireless bridge is set for
11g only. I have one FC2 PC which is showing in it's readouts that
it's set for 11b but when I copy files between the bridge and the
router I get anywhere from 1.3MB/S-1.7MB/S. The high end of that range
(13.6Mb/S)  is above 11b speeds so I tend to believe that that I'm
getting 11g but it's running slowly.

   Either that or the numbers are not accurate enough to make a
calculation  like that.

   No rush at all on answering.

Thanks,
Mark