Problems with kernel

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:30:19 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Anthony Emmite
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 1:23 AM
To: 'Getting started with Red Hat Linux'
Subject: RE: Problems with kernel

Does anyone know how to get Debian to see my SATA drive.
It will not even see a external 40GB drive. I have a Dell Dimension 8400,
2Gb Ram, Two IDE CD ROMs which use plus the primary 160Gb Sata drive and
another 40Gb Sata. It just will not see them. This has happened with RH9, as
well as SuSe Linux. I had read in a news group post that Debian 3.1r0a does
but that is the version I am using. I can run all as virtual machine within
Windows but you lose much! Please help if you can, I also want to use my tv
tuner card within Linux. Plus the burner and CD player.

Anthony Emmite
ajemmite at houston.rr.com
(713)991-1592

I had the same problem at install of my Dell 370.

My problem was that the RAID functionality was enabled in the BIOS.  Once I
changed it so that the SATA controller acted only as a SATA controller and
not a RAID controller, it worked.

Michael