update (not install) from cd?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Nov 10 21:34:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 14:40 -0800, chuck lawrence wrote:
> I've got a rh es 3.0 system, for which purchase and delivery of my
> license key is lagging (a problem at our end, not rh).  I'd like to
> update it.  I have a set of current cds, update 6, I think.
>
> can I update from cd, or must I reinstall to be more current?  are there
> other options?  I suppose I could wait for the licensing to work its way
> through procurement, but that could take a while.

You should be able to boot from the first CD and do an update from
there.

Or, use "up2date -k /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS" and do it that way.  I
might suggest doing that twice, first also specifying "--dryrun" to
verify that it'll do what you wish.

-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -