Upgrading to RHEL 4

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Mon Nov 21 18:03:59 UTC 2005

Well I found major problems between 3 and 4 that even prevents the
upgrade to occur. Anaconda has a problem upgrading a multipartioned
server. Whether it be LVM or not. It only mounts / . If your /boot is on
another FS as well as /usr /var it can't find half of the things it
needs to do the upgrade and eventually you will run out of space and
have a blown upgrade.

So the recommended solution is to do an Administrator Guided Install
which is a fresh install, patch the system then reinstall your apps. For
an Oracle system that's a real pain in the rump but not difficult as
long as your oracle binaries are in a sperate FS then /usr.

This was the same for 2.1 to 3 and 2.1 to 4. IMHO if you are going from
2.1 to 4 I wouldn't upgrade I would do a fresh install anyway.

Albert Smith
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
HPCSA, RHCT
Genex Services