Net connection Problem

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 18:27:12 UTC 2005

Hello All, I hope your Thanksgiving was great.  Having some time
on my hands I thought I'd set my file server up to also be a mail
server - why? because it's there.

I use fetchmail to retrieve my email from various accounts and
it's been running for years on my computers.   Recently I set up
a FC2 machine to store music, picutres and movies so the house
could share.  It's working fine.

I moved my .fetchmailrc file to this server and have been trying
to get fetchmail to grab my mail and save it, then I'll share the
/var/spool/mail directory and everyone will have access to there
mail.  At lest thats the idea.

Well, I keep getting an exit code of 2 from fetchmail.  This is
listed as a socket error.  Doing some experminting I can not ping
mail.comcast.net from my FC2 file server but I can from my other
machines.

Looking at the ifconfig output the biggest difference I see is
bcast on the file server is 192.168.1.255 and 255.255.255.255.  I
was thinking it may be a gateway issue but I don't see that
listed under ifconfig and don't remember how to look for that or
how to set it up if it's wrong.

Right now I have a Linksys switch servinig as a DHCP server but
the file server has a fixed IP as I couldn't get NFS to find a
floating IP.  That shouldn't be a problem as my old fetchmail
server also had a fixed IP but there is the Bcast difference
which surprised me.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.