Net connection Problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Nov 30 01:41:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 18:12 -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:10:13PM -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, now I've got some questions - one reason for putting
> > > fetchmail on a different machine was it's always on so there is
> > > less chance of mail building up on the internet.  The other
> > > reason was so I could use multiple computers to read my email.
> > > Checking out my new /var/spool/mail directory I see my mail
> > > account grow when fetchmail goes out to get mail then it goes to
> > > zero when Pine goes and picks it up.  i have a feeling it's
> > > moving it to my local machine
> >
> > That is correct.
> >
> > > and this is going to mean I will
> > > not have access to my mail from other comptuers (like my
> > > notebook).  So, how do I set things up to allow that?
> >
> > Have your local email client use IMAP instead of POP3.
>
> OK, I've looked in the PINE setup and I don't see where I've
> selected POP3 over IMAP or how to change it to IMAP.

Pine is an mbox reader...it doesn't do POP or IMAP.  It just reads your
LOCAL mailbox.  It has no concept of network operations.  You need
fetchmail (or another MUA) to do the actual POP/IMAP fetch into your
local mbox.

-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -