grub

Rob Crittenden rcrit at greyoak.com
Wed Nov 30 14:07:24 UTC 2005

I'm in the process of upgrading my ancient RHL 7.2 system to FC 4.

What I've done is install FC4 on a new disk on another machine and
gotten it fully updated. Now I'm ready to replace the RHL 7.2 system
disk with the FC 4 disk but I have a question about grub.

My current system consists of many hard disks on 4 controllers (don't
ask). The primary goal is data and OS separation.

The relevent layout is as follows:

hda - boot drive with NTLDR to boot
hda1 - Windows 98
hda2 - Windows 2000

hde1 - /
hde2 - /boot
hde[3-8] rest of system

hdfx - data

Right now I'm booting kernel 2.4.30 off a boot floopy. Not the best
solution but workable for me since I rarely reboot.

So I'd like to keep the NTLDR as the boot mechanism for the windows
partitions. I was hoping to have that launch grub which would let me
boot FC4 on hde.

 From what I've read, to do this I need to have /boot on the first disk,
hda. I'd really rather not mix things up like this. Is there another way?

Assuming I break down and install grub on hda can I still keep my boot
and root on hde?

thanks

rob